Monday, January 11, 2010

Chalenge 40 "ugly flowers" by Silvia Dell'Aere

Hi :) here is my quilt for the challenge 40.
My inspiration came from the "nidra latte miele" (nidra milk honey) bath gel bottle.
The bottle is all white, I think because it want to give the idea of clean, purity and a product that doesn't set upon the skin.
Then there is the "nivea" word in dark pink. I think that the pink is asreadable as the red, on white background, but don't give the "attention" or "danger" message that the red would give. Again the pink may be more attractive for women.
There is a yellow/orange drop. The colour is really close to the colour of the gel and wants to refer to the idea of the colour of honey mixed with milk.
The "palmolive" logo is white and green. This is because the storic logo is green, I don't think there is a specific purpose, is just something that "have to be".
Finally other words are in blue. The blue is very clear readable on white, but is not as "funereal" as black.



I've done a little quilt (8x9") with two flowers.
I wanted to try what happens reversing the predominance of the colours. The bottle has a lot of white, so I've decided to use very little of it, just for binding and beads, using more the colours that are less used in the bottle: blue, pink, yellow and green.
I've tried to use watersoluble pencils on silk; I've tried soaking the silk in a soda solution. It didn't help for colour spreading, but I hope it will help for colour resistance.
I've quilted and tried a sort of thread painting (my first time)
Well, this is the first time I do something different from "take the design - follow instructions", this time I've "just done it".
I'd like to hear comments, constructive critics and suggestions :)



Made by Silvia "OrkaLoca" Dell'Aere

7 comments:

Gerrie said...

I love these "Passion" flowers. Nice bead work. Nice stitching and the off center layout is very compelling.

Quiltrobin said...

I really like the way you used many different colored threads in your quilting/thread painting. This really brings the flowers to life.

Linda Cline said...

You have a good composition. Your colors are very cheer, and the detailed stitching ads a nice touch. It doesn't bother me that color spread a little.

Is it soda ash you used? This is used to set fiber reactive dyes, but I don't think it will have any effect on colored pencils. I don't think it is good to leave soda ash in fabric long term. It should be rinsed out.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I love your interpretation of this challenge. The flowers are wonderful with the beading. I like how you've used the meaning of the colors to let us know what they all mean. A very lovely calming piece.
Well done!

Carole said...

Happy to see this here, Silvia.
It is a lovely piece and I am with Linda.. I think some of the color spreading adds a soft-edge. Your threadwork is very, very good.
Good job! Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Silvia "OrkaLoca" Dell'Aere said...

Hi, thank you for all your comments. As I said it's my first time with thread painting, so I'm really surprised (and of course happy) that you liked it and the work in general. I'm really hypercritical about my work so I'm never satisfied, and read what do you think, and the emotions you feel looking at my flowers, helps me :)

About soda ash, I've used it in the past to dye fabrics with reactive dye... I've heard about using soy milk to set watercolour, but I hadn't soy milk, so I've thought to do a try with soda.
In my idea there was to let the work rest for a while, and then wash it by hand and see what happen :)

Jan said...

Ugly flowers NOT! I think this is a lovely little piece with good composition. Reversing the color dominance made for a much nicer piece. Good job!