Saturday, January 23, 2010

Fairy Blues


Ha! I surprised all of you by NOT doing a bird! Besides, I needed to challenge myself more, too.

First I drew the picture of the fairies and mushrooms on a piece of drawing paper. Then, using light lines I tried fracturing it in different ways until I settled on one diagonal line, one vertical line and a circle behind each fairy. I then chose the analogous colors of blue, green, and yellow. The background sky and ground were divided into lights and darks. The circles I chose to do in medium blues. Where ever the lines crossed from one section to the next I used that value of color. The fairies I had intended to do in lights and darks but decided it best to do them in all values and put them on top of the circles. This way the eye was drawn to them more. It measures 14 1/2" x 17".

I have wanted to attempt a fractured piece for quite some time and felt being hostess for this challenge was my push to do so. And now that I've tried this I intend to do more pieces using this technique.

Of course, now you have to comment on mine first!

13 comments:

fastfriday said...

I think the circles are very effective to focus on the fairies, and I was also attracted to the mushroom in the left circle. Nice use of values too.

Chris Predd said...

I made the first comment, Jan. Forgot to sign my name......too early in the morning, I guess.
Chris Predd

Kathy Angel Lee said...

Love the fairies. The circles are perfect to highlight them and the diagonals offer another good focal point.

Julia in NZ said...

Jan

The fairies and the circles are a great combo, and the colours are perfect. The light coloured diagonal seems like a moonbeam, so appropriate for fairies. What if the lower half continued the diagonal?

Lots of interest in the details - need a close up photo when you have time!

Julia

Chris said...

Thank you for posting early to your own challenge! I agree about the focus on the fairies being very effective, and I'm curious about the technique used on the lower third. I wonder if you needed the border -- when I cover the border, I think the design inside the rectangle stands on its own and is more interesting without being "contained."

Carole said...

A very well done piece, Jan. I have studied this one from the get-go as well. The fairies and the circles are wonderful, but the dark blue literally is suffocating them.... this is ONLY my opinion. I don't think they need that much of a frame. The blue is certainly a complement, but maybe just in a binding? Just a thought....or white which would give them the expanse associated with fairies?

Thank you for a great challenge!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Jan, no it's not a bird, but these fairies are perfect in their magical world. The ray of light and the plants are beautiful, and quite fitting for fairies. I love it!

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Your fairies are so delicate and ethereal, and the fractured background really adds to the mystery. I love it. The dark borders feel like looking through a window. Nice!
Cherie

LAQuilts said...

Lovely - I like the circles.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Jan, Your fairies are lovely and graceful and the circles help make them the focal point. Beautifully constructed...great job!
I have mixed feelings about the border. On one hand, it feels somewhat contained. On the other hand, the dark blue in the background combines with the border to create some interesting negative space...almost like looking through an odd-shaped keyhole
Thanks for hosting the challenge!
Cynthia

Pam Harris said...

Very nice piece with lots of detail. Excellent job on your fracturing, especially the bottom portion of light and dark. Really does look like a sunbeam has hit the field of grass and mushrooms.

Joni said...

Jan, what a great way to start off our challenge! Your play of light with the fracturing is excellent. Your fairies are very playfull and delicate- wish I could see this in person.

Betty Donahue said...

So delightful. I love angels and fairies are the next thing to them.
Wonderful piece.
Betty