Thursday, February 04, 2010

Challenge 41 "Viewpoint" by Madalene Axford Murphy

Was going to skip this challenge but I've had an idea for a long time of making a quilt looking through a dragonfly's wings and I got an idea, thanks to some fancy organza I bought, of how to make the wings and had to try it out. I fractured the field below the dragonfly, but I lost track of the color requirements for the challenge. My original colors were just three: red, green, and yellow, but as I was working I decided I had to add some blue for our farmpond that the dragonflies love.

I haven't worked a lot with transparencies, but used Carol Taylor's method of satin stitching the edges although I did not fuse it. I have also been using pearl cotton more and more in my work and didn't have time to use it for all the quilting but did add some.

Would love to hear what you think of it.

7 comments:

Chris Predd said...

Love your placement for only a partial view of the dragonfly, and the wings are gorgeous. You do wonderful quilting too!
Chris Predd

Cherie in Del Mar said...

This 'birds eye' view through the ethereal dragonfly's wings is so effective. Your fractured background looks wonderful and dimensional with your beautiful quilting. Looks to me like you nailed it "-)
Cherie

katieinnebraska said...

This is the quilt I want to make! I love the transparent wings, the asymmetrical dragonfly, and the beautiful fractured background. I wouldn't change a thing.

Jan said...

This is a lovely piece Madalene! I really like your fracturing of the background only and the organza overlay. Dragonflies have always been a favorite creature of mine and I almost made one for this challenge. I'm so glad you did.

Joni said...

Madalene your dragonfly wings are wonderful. I like the effect the transparent fabric makes over the fractured background - the wings look so delicate! I also like the way you did a close up, very effective.

Julia in NZ said...

The fabric choices are ideal to give a fractured look without losing cohesion. The wings are a triumph, and the crossed diagonals give a nice movement to the piece.

Kathy Angel Lee said...

I like the assymetrical look of this piece. Using just a portion of the dragonfly is brilliant.