Thursday, February 04, 2010

Dream Catcher

Not sure this one meets any of the challenge requirements, but this is where my nuse led me. I started with a mono print that I hand made that looked "fractured" and was hoping to just use it as the background. My intention was to but a beautiful black swan in front of the reddish background. While visiting my sister in Arizona, the challenge was announced, so I think I was influenced by the native american culture because my entry turned out resembling a dream catcher. Give your imagination a BIG stretch and think of the feathers at the bottom as wings. I'm really grasping at straws here to make this piece fit this challenge. I did accomplish the having fun part, and have really enjoyed all the creative wonderful works others have made for this challenge. Thank you Jan, I promise to do a more conventional fractured piece in the near future, it is a wonderful approach to creating an interesting piece. Comments at this late date are dreamed of.

8 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Oh boy, I love this one Joni! It is so organic looking. It puts me in mind of 'Zentangles'...so very interesting and mesmerizing. The color combination is unexpected and delicate, and your stitching excellent. It makes me think of a jellyfish 'flying' through a dark sea. Lovely!
Cherie

Jan said...

I immediately saw the dream catcher. Your fracturing in the circle is unique and effective. Your quilting is superb. The only thing I want to do with it is add some strings to the upper 4 extrusions to tie it to the outer edge. I guess it's just me wanting to feel tied to something. I love this piece! Thanks for participating in my challenge.

Joni said...

Jan, I think you are right about adding to the upper 4 extrusions, it does look unbalanced - back to the studio for me.

Julia in NZ said...

Joni

I guess no one said the fractures had to be deliberate! Lots of interest here. What if you added some beads to the centre to link back texturally to those on the 'tentacles'? If you are going to add something to the top, I don't think it needs to be solid - just threads would work. Love the colours.

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

What a fascinating piece of fabric that monoprint is. I like the way the beads continue the shapes on the "arms" of the central piece.

Kathy Angel Lee said...

Please don't take offense, but when I first saw this (and before I read your comments) what came to mind was a colorful large centipede sort of rolling along! It brought a smile to my face. The mono print fabric is wonderful - how did you do it? And your quilting is excellent - very nice enhancement.

Joni said...

No offense taken Kathy, one thing I love about abstract work is that it can mean different things to different people. The mono print is made on a gelatin base. I learned how to do it from a video on Youtube. I can't remember the link, but if you google youtube and then monoprint, I'm sure you will find it. I had a great time making several prints and am looking forward to doing it again sometime soon.

Betty Donahue said...

I don't know what to say except "WOW"
Betty