Sunday, June 20, 2010

Tree Fungi

Here is my piece based on the Jack-o-lantern tree fungi. I used some scrips and scraps from other projects to pull this together. Although I didn't start this at the first notice of the challenge, due to teaching and other commitments, the piece only took me one evening to complete. The cream silk has gold edged pin tucks and was a trimming from the sleeve of the coat of my first Bernina garment.

Here is a photo when the edge has not been satin stitched round.

Although I feel I managed to suit the requirements of the challenge, the result is not anything I feel I can use as is. So, because I am also trying to do the journal quilts with the British Contemporary Quilt group...continuing the dragon series, I decided to take it further into something that would keep it from being stuck in the back of the cupboard.

So, after the satin stitching....

2 little dragons came along and found it was a wonderful place for playing hide and seek from their friends in the forest. As soon as the counting to 100 finishes, you won't even be able to tell they are there, as they will pull their heads right down into the pocket of the fungi.

Sometimes the little dragons hollow out tree fungi to use as a sort of hanging sleeping bag when they go camping out with their friends. I am sure you can imagine what fun they get up to while they are out there! Of course, they are completely safe, because one of the parents is usually curled up behind bushes not too far away.

I might add a few beads here and there at some point.

No comments: