Saturday, July 31, 2010

Girl on a Swing




28" x 18 ½""

10/1/2010 -- Third prize winner at an Art Show!

9/10/2010 --
I finally put the finishing touches on this piece, and it has just been delivered to its first art show today! She now has a face, eyes and a mouth made of beads. The final shape is only slightly irregular, and now I wish I had either kept it straight or made it more irregular so it wouldn't look just a bit off from straight.
---------------
There is finishing work to be done, but this is far enough along that I decided to post it. The top portion will be a hanging sleeve, to go along with the swing.

The girl is actually a 3-dimensional doll made with a wire mesh framework, on a swing with chains attached to the tree branch. She still needs hands, and, maybe, a face. The tree is thread-painted, actually using the drawing technique I mentioned in the challenge, which I've never done in thread, using a twin needle (another first for me) on top of brown fabric. The leaves are organza in three shades, held on with beads. The fringe used (and used up!) seven hanks of embroidery thread.

Aside from the advance time I have to think about a challenge that I host, I try not to jump into making it until it is officially posted. I'd appreciate any comments -- and does it need a face?

10 comments:

Julia in NZ said...

HI Tobi

Great challenge. I think she does need some basic features, whether by fabric pen or stitch. There's something slightly spooky about her blankness! The fringe was worth using up all those hanks! Lovely idea - we are waiting for spring in our part of the world!

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Awesome Tobi! The tree looks so realistic...I have to try your method. The use of organzas for leaves is lovely, and your little girl adorable. I too think she needs some facial features, maybe partially in shadow from the bonnet? Love it!
Cherie

Carole said...

This is definitely you Tobi! and I will say well done. Means I like it, it is interesting, techiniques are intriguing and I have to say the bottom is worth every skein. It will be great hanging, if what I see in my mind from your description, is what it actually is.
I do join with the others in that the face needs some features, even if only eyes.

This piece reminds me of the girl on the Blue Bonnet margarine box when I was little. In fact, wasn't she a pop-out and would stand?

Jan said...

Ditto on the facial features, but rather than use black what about a rusty brown? I love all your techniques, especially the grassy bottom. I think this is one of your best pieces!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Love the leaves done in organza, they give some real life to the piece. I agree with others, perhaps eyes and a mouth is all she needs. This is such a very textural interesting piece.
Thanks for the challenge Tobi.

janice pd said...

Tobi I love this one. I disagree with everyone about facial features. If I hadn't read the comments I wouldn't have known features were absent since I looked at the whole composition. To add them you run the risk of making the face the focal point. If you decide to do this, I would suggest you do a couple of mock-ups and pin them to it to audtion them.

Joni said...

Lovely piece Tobi! It gives a nostalgic warm feeling to this viewer, kind of like "Little House on the Prairie". I love the way the organza leaves in three shades really add to the texture of the piece. Good Challenge, wish I could have participated this time.

Betty Warner said...

Tobi - great piece, so full of texture. I love the stitched tree, will be trying it one day soon. I too like the fringe which seems to really emphasize the texture in the piece. I am uncertain about the face. I am not certain whether it needs features or whether it just needs to be a little less light. Perhaps a more tan color so that it is not so dominant, unless that is what you want.


Thanks for your challenge and your response.

laura west kong said...

It's wonderful! I don't think she necessarily needs a face. It looks fine without it. I'd consider a light touch/low contrast on the face if you decide to add one.

Sue Andrus said...

I love this piece! Of course it uses many of my favorite colors :) The idea of using the twin needles for the stitching on the tree is great- wonderful texture with a bit less time. My first thought on the girl was that she really doesn't need a face. If you do add a face, I think soft and simple would be best.