Friday, July 30, 2010

Un Named at present

Wow! What a challenge this was Tobi!! And so much fun, too.... I really went out of my 'zone' on this one, got right out there on that limb! Almost everything in this has some new twist or take to what I would normally do. The quilting, for starters, I did the tree first and used a quilting design I have never tried before and have to say I like it. Then the background is something I have never done before... added some color and stylized the leaf design in the fabric. The woodpecker looks a little odd.. like a mole or some little animal as opposed to a bird... oh well...  and my bunny is paper.
I have a different edge shape than I have ever done... notches out of each side, one upper, one lower.... I will face it, then it is finished.
So, now I am looking forward to the critiquing process... its strengths? its weaknesses? Colors?
Or overall... is it OK? And I appreciate a 'good going', too.... means you like it...
 Size: size: 17 x 32

8 comments:

Cherie in Del Mar said...

This is a terrific piece Carole! I find myself completely drawn into your 'enchanted' forest. There is so much going on and you've pulled it all together so well. The quilted leaves background is lovely...just right. The forest floor reminds me of hikes I've taken where the scattered leaves, mushrooms, pieces of bark etc. are like a treasure chest of texture and color. I really love this!
Cherie

Julia in NZ said...

Carole

This is lovely complex piece with lots of interest. Focal tree fabric is excellent. I wonder about edging the lighter 'mossy' parts with a darker thread to stop them merging with the background. I love the quilting. I definitely recognised the woodpecker, and this is an impressionist piece anyway.

Jan said...

This is totally cool! The woodpecker looks just like he should look hunched over pecking away. Your background quilting is super and really gives it a forest look. If Julia is talking about the mossy parts on the sides of the tree trunk I agree, but not too much darker or you'll lose the effect. What if you scanned your paper bunny and printed him onto cloth and then fused and quilted him on? No fear of tearing that way.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

This just blows my 'flip flops off' ( I don't have socks on)...wonderful piece Carole. The tree is fantastic, the blue shades really make it pop, the squares add such interest at the bottom and then the surprise of the rabbit. It really is one of those pieces that keeps your eye moving..great job. And the quilting, well what can I say you always do such a great job. FABULOUS!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I can't believe I missed the woodpecker, thanks for mentioning it Jan. He is a great addition CArole.

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

Great piece, Carole. Softening the tree edge with a bit of thread work may make your tree seem more like a part of the forest. Perhaps you could stitch a small circular pattern along the edge to achieve this?
Ann

Carole said...

Thank you so much for the comments, they are so greatly appreciated! I am taking them serious...if I were to add the suggested stitches to the mossy background and blend the tree trunk edges away from being focal...I would have to do this over the stitched down facing... would that matter as far as the back of the piece is concerned if I wanted to show this?
Ann... I think you probably know the answer best...

Betty Warner said...

Carole - I am trying to write this without looking at the comments above. I am so impressed. All those new things on a piece 17" x 32". That's a big commitment in such a short time. I am really drawn to your use of blue. It just mesmerizes me. I like the notched edge, but am troubled (might be just me) by the symmetry. I think I would prefer either a shorter jutting out on the right or none at all. I do think that it is effective that the right side ends at the edge of that tree and not beyond.

Great, great response to the challenge!