Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Challenge #42-- Seaweed: An Un-Still Life

This 32" x 36" piece with unbound edges, netting, hand-dyes, covered clothesline, pintucked, folded, and scrunched fabric was inspired by many walks on the beach and photographs of seaweed. So it's a sort of abstract landscape. It took me months to finish -- I was really inspired by the manipulated fabric idea, but then I just wanted to take my time with this and let it evolve. (I have a hard time with this thought: one hand-dyed fabric was too expensive to "just use for an exercise.") Not the spirit of the challenge, but I am very grateful for the inspiration and enjoyed this departure from my previous styles. It reminded me that I and my life are like seaweed: a rather chaotic mess that gets rearranged with every wave that comes my way, but just fine "as is," not something I need to untangle to make beautiful!

Chris Smith (Sea Ranch)

2 comments:

Carole said...

Love the chaotic nature of this piece.. perhaps because that is how I am feeling right now....
I really like the quilting, the variety is what makes it so interesting.

Donna said...

Chris, This is a really beautiful piece. I have enjoyed watching it evolve over time. It has even changed orientation....Your quilting adds alot of dimension to the overall design. It is a joy to look at from a distance, mid-range and close up. Bravo. ! Donna