Wednesday, September 29, 2010

challenge 49 - Birch Trees by Veronica Von Zwehl


This is my quilt for the 49th Challenge. It measures 24" x 35". We had bad weather this past weekend so I had a lot of time to work on it!
It is a whole cloth quilt. I painted white Kona cotton with black fabric paint. I used the paint straight for the black background and thinned it with a mixture of NoFlow and Textile medium to get the shadings on the trees. I used those to thin the paint because water made the paint bleed too much. I stitched the quilt with black thread.


I'm happy with the results. However, I'm kind of disappointed in myself for reverting back to trees as a subject matter instead of exploring new subject matter.
Please give me some input - if you would like. This is my first challenge with the group.
Veronica Von Zwehl

13 comments:

fastfriday said...

Sorry - I meant Challenge 49. VVZ

California Fiber artist and composer said...

I love the beautiful painting and stitching. The dark, light and shadows really show. I am amazed at how large you worked in a short period of time.

Joni said...

Hi Veronica,
I love your composition for this challenge. The stitching is so effective for creating the texture of the tree bark. The use of light is very well done. This is an awesome Piece! Great work.

ann said...

Very nice! I do not think you should beat yourself up for picking a subject you are comfortable with. When ever I try to stretch myself into something that I do not feel comfortable with doing, it is agony and usually a total failure.

My opinion is that it is best to go with your gut.
Ann E. Ruthsdottir

fastfriday said...

Your trees all look so real and I can feel the light direction. Well done! I love to do trees also so I say go for it!

Pat Havey

Carole said...

Nothing like a stand of birch... and so very well done! The play of light is very realistic and you should be proud of this one... whether it is familiar subject matter or not. I am so glad you could do this one. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Linda Mac said...

This is a beautiful piece. Great texture and contrast. Love it.

Anonymous said...

Stunning! Great contrast and dimension.

Della said...

Good use of light and shadow to create depth and form. Well done.

Wendy said...

Looks like my back yard, altho I have aspen trees.... I wish I could paint like that!

LAQuilts said...

Are you a painter in another life? This is a fantastic painting augmented well with stitching. I love the lack of color here.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Veronica, good to have you in the group! This is a fantastic piece...nothing to say but it's perfectly executed, wonderful chiaroscuro, fine details, beautiful!
I look forward to seeing lots more of your work...trees or otherwise!
Cynthia

Pam Harris said...

Wonderful piece!