Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Autumn Haiku

The Haiku was a fun challenge! Thanks, Kathy.

This is probably the least variety of fabrics I've ever used in a quilt, just 4 different pieces. A year ago I bought the hand-dyed background fabric from Laura Wasilowski at the Des Moines AQS show. Once home I wondered why, but it worked well as the background for this piece so I'm glad I did. It was shades of a light grey-blue, light rose-pink, and light yellow. The first two reminded me of a dreary fall sky telling one winter would soon follow the loss of leaves. I chose a maple tree because when I looked out the window the day the challenge was announced, my maples were loaded with gorgeous leaves that were beginning to fall. Once started the light yellow was too light so I darkened it with a light wash of color by quilting and paints.

I quilted leaves on top of the fused pieces on the ground and then decided to do the same with the tree. The tree's leaves actually ended looking more like oak leaves than maple leaves, but they'll do. Some I left open on the sky fabric. I'd thought that somehow writing the Haiku in the lower left open area would be nice but I feared messing it up so instead added a fencerow gradually disappearing over a distant hill. It ended at 16" x 26 1/2".

The Haiku was written and the quilt over half completed when I decided to change the last line which I personally like better, but others may disagree. I've listed both versions here.

Leaves, orange, red, gold Leaves, orange, red, gold
Gnarled maple dropping its crown Gnarled maple dropping its crown
Which is last to fall? Earth's winter blanket.


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan, your piece is absolutely stunning. You have captured the beauty of the maple and the sentiment of your Haiku. I like the second version better. "earth's winter blanket" is very strong imagery. Your piece has a very Asian feel too it. I think limiting yourself to four fabrics adds to this. The tree dominates with its vivid foliage but then the other aspects of the composition come into view as my eye moves around the piece. My husband says " well done".

Veronica said...

Jan:

This is just wonderful. Did you quilt the background before you added the tree and leaves? The quilting lines in the background seem to just flow so nicely. I really like the colorless sky behind the tree. Your choice of adding the fence (which I think leads your eye into the quilt) is very, very effective. I love this quilt!!!!

Veronica Von Zwehl

Jan said...

I quilted everything after fusing everything in place.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

This is a wonderful piece Jan. I am drawn into the scene and transported back to my youth when everything seemed less hectic and serene. I love the fence...perfect!
Cherie

ann said...

I like the first ending, but think the second one is even better. You have created a lovely haiku and a stunning work of art.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Great work Jan, fits perfectly for your Haiku. The leaves falling are super, and I love the addition of the fence, adds depth to the piece. Nicely done.

Carole said...

Jan, this is superb! Those leaves are absolutely stunning and the quilting is perfect for the piece!
I am just wondering... could you/would you think of writing your Haiku poem on the piece. Those that I have... IMO seem to add to the overall sense... and in this case... the Asian feel.. so fitting..

Betty Warner said...

Hi Jan, This is a wonderful piece. Well balanced, good use of color, nice movement and repetition. Tranquil with an Asian feel as others have said. Great challenge response. I could go either way with the last line of the Haiku. I guess the second version seems a bit more universal.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Jan...lovely piece with those gorgeous leaves and gnarly trunk. It have good balance and unity, too...the fence post and scattered leaves work especially well in that.
Cynthia

Joni said...

Jan, this is wonderful. Your tree is so captivating with it's twisty trunk and beautiful leaves. Your haiku is excellent too, and is represented well by this piece. I too prefer the second ending... like the earth is being put to rest for the winter.

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful scene, I love the great old maple tree, the gentle rolling hills, the fence..the leaves both on the tree and on the ground,,,it is just perfect! I also like the 2nd version of your Haiku better :-)

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Jan,
This is a stunning piece! The asymmetrical balance, the great use of perspective and the stark background choices all contribute to making this very successful. Great job!

Betty Donahue said...

Jan, this is wonderful. I feel like those leaves are going to float right down into my yard for me to rake up.

I like the blanket ending. That is what fallen leaves look like.
Betty

Pam Harris said...

Wonderful piece and your perspective really adds to the scerne. Love your garnly tree and abstract leaves. The background certainly bodes winter's soon to appear.

fastfriday said...

Jan - I love your Haiku and your quilt is perfect for the sentiment. The tree looks so real.

Pat Havey

Unknown said...

I love the new ending to your haiku! The tree is very textural and knarly=love it! Autumn is one of my favorite times, the beautiful leaves just seem to speak to my spirit. I love the colors and the stitching. The fence line and small foilage really add to the story.