Saturday, October 30, 2010

Earth as Haiku

Update September 2011
The earth needed more stitching and a hanging device. I painted the edges of a canvas to match the fabrics and now I'm finally ready to call it "finished." I'm just working on clearing out some WIPs and putting them in the upcoming sale.



I believe I like it hanging on point rather than square. The quilting is not done to perfection but with the layer of sealer on it the holes would have been more ugly than just poorly controlled stitching in my opinion.




earth circles around
rotating through the seasons
slowly years fly by

Still a work in progress, stitching yet to be done.
This was a great challenge. I've enjoyed looking at everyone's photos and reading the poems. Hope to go through again tomorrow and make a few comments. Even though it's Halloween, I won't be witch-y!!! :o)

:Diane - yarngoddess

11 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Wonderful abstract, and great color use. I like this and the Haiku, look forward to seeing it with the stitching done.
Great work.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Good job, Diane...I think this will be beautiful when you get the quilting done...it will add definition and texture. Would you consider using variegated or contrasting thread for the quilting on the solid green part of the background? Or perhaps a variegated blues and greens across all the background so it blends the two opposites? It's great piece...be sure to post it when it's finished!
Cynthia

Jan said...

I ditto the above. This is wonderful with the blue looking so much like the larger percentage of Earth covered in water. I wonder what it would look like if you tried to simply quilt some of the continents on the checkerboard area?

Wendy said...

I love the abstractions here.... Great color choice and can't wait to see it quilted!

Carole said...

All has been said above! I really like the simplicity and the 'stitch' factor will really enhance this piece. Be sure to post it and let us know when you do...

fastfriday said...

Ditto on all the above. My favorite is the color combo. Well done

Pat Havey

Joni said...

Hi Diane, What a great start you have to this challenge with an excellent haiku and a wonderful abstract depiction of the earth. I'm looking forward to the finished piece.

Pam Harris said...

I am eager to see how you quilt it and what threads you use. You have received some good suggestions. Very nice piece.

Unknown said...

This piece caught my eye when I first saw it posted on the group site. I love the choice of the colors, so close to complementary! The simplicity is striking and I agree that the quilting will bring the piece to life.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I love your background fabric...did you paint/dye it? So much depth to it, perfect for the feeling of space. Can't wait to see the quilting.
Cherie

:Diane said...

Thanks, Cherie, the blue and purple is a commercial fabric but in the five yards I bought I have yet to figure out the repeat. I love it, too. Should have bought even more! :o) There's no printing in the selvage.
Diane - yarngoddess