Saturday, October 30, 2010

Flamingo

In mute solitude
veiled by swirling morning mists
patient flamingo



This still needs the border, which is going to be a 2" dark bright pink, followed by a 1.5" black one, so it looks like it's been matted and framed. The 2 borders will bring this to 12.5 x 15.5". I also plan on writing the Haiku in the pink border.
The flamingo is fused applique, the mist is pulled, stretched cotton filling, used some colored pencils in spots for shading, though you can't really see it well since it is veiled by the mist...LOL
Wondering if I should have used a "water" fabric instead of the one I chose for the background, but I wanted a muted, very early morning appearance, so hoping this background works well for that.
I'm not sure if it needs more "mist" or not, also not sure if I will be doing any sewing on this, I have iron on clear vinyl which I am considering applying to this piece before adding the borders, so that it looks a little like a "glossy" photo that's been matted and framed, what do you think?
I probably should have waited until it was finished to post a picture but I am just so excited to have actually done a challenge after not doing anything with fabric since FEBRUARY that I couldn't wait :-)
I will change the photo to the finished one when it's done though.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks in advance for any comments on my very simple piece, even if it is unfinished :-)
Cathy

Carole said...

Cathy this is wonderful. Your mist is so real and thank you for telling us how you achieved it. I am glad you didn't wait to show us.
Vinyl? I can't comment... rather than write in the border, it would look pretty cool right on the piece? I personally like the background you chose, it is sort of misty'd water looking.Only suggestion I have is maybe to color/darken the legs to make them look 'real'... So good to have you back!
i hope you will post and let us know when it is finished,

fastfriday said...

Cathy - I think your background is perfect. I for one wouldn't want a shiny finish, I feel it would ruin the misty feeling. The mist is so much more dense with the matte fnish. Your flamingo is beautiful! Good work..

Pat Havey

Joni said...

Cathy, very lovely flamingo. You pulled the misty look off to perfection! Your piece really complements the haiku as well. A very successful challenge, glad you were able to join us again.

Pam Harris said...

Welcome Back!! I wouldn't use the vinyl as I think you would lose your "mist". Great composition and haiku. Interesting technique for the mist. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for the comments and the welcome backs :-) I didn't think I was ever going to get back to working with fabric so I am really thrilled to have broken the dry spell here.
I placed a small square of vinyl over the flamingo's head and held it down and really hated it! So not going to do that. Now I have to figure out how to quilt this....

Betty Donahue said...

Great piece. I like the misty look. Glad you decided against the vinal.
Betty

Jan said...

I like the way it is, too! Don't add something shiny to something that is working so well as it is. Before sewing on a bright pink and black border lay it out first to see how it looks and if it distracts too much. I like this piece as is.

Unknown said...

Jan, I didn't really like the bright pink either,,,now I am thinking just a plain medium colored wood grain fabric as a thin border and binding, if not the wood something more natural/earthy looking

Unknown said...

Cathy,

I second the comments made so far! The background is perfect and you achieved the misty look very well. I like the beak area and his eye. I think that the haiku written on the main piece would look great. Maybe you could print it out on fusible web and iron it to the piece, which might soften the words to go with the mood of the piece. Great work!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Wow, the mist is truly realistic, wonderful work.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I have to agree with most of the previous comments. Glad you decided against the shiny. Have you considered No border or binding? It is so wonderfully soft and mysterious as it is, perhaps just a facing to finish? Great to see you back and with such a flair :-)
Cherie