Friday, October 01, 2010

Megan

Challenge 49; "Megan" (11" x 10")
This piece started out as a pastel pencil drawing on paper using the techniques described in "The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head" by William L. Maughan. I used photo reference to complete the drawing that was started with a live model, Megan. The drawing was then printed on fabric and stashed. I've really been trying to bridge the divide between my paper art and my fabric art. This challenge was just the ticket. I fused the head to a new background and bumped the eyebrows, eye, mouth, and tail with fabric. What fun.

5 comments:

LAQuilts said...

Lovely - you are quite he artist.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Della,
Gosh, this is gorgeous! The woman is very interesting with a far-away look in her eyes, but with a look of strength and determination in her face and posture. I love the coloring and what you did with the lips and eyebrows to increase the contrast. The background fabric with the color blobs is a nice balance to the figure. The contrast is a bit subtle for chiaroscuro, but I certainly wouldn't change a thing on this piece. Though it might be interesting to play with the contrast of your drawing in Photoshop, print it out and put it on a dark background to see how much difference it would make.
Great job! So glad you are still with the group
Cynthia

Unknown said...

Nice job on the face, I also like how you've used the blue/purple and the "clouds" on the side to move your eye across the image.

Pam Harris said...

Very striking piece.

Carole said...

This is very striking! Commanding even...I can only applaud...