Saturday, October 30, 2010

So Cold This Morning















This haiku was written my mother's lifetime friend, who just turned 100. She sent me a book that she wrote for her 100th birthday, and I chose this haiku for the challenge.
I used a photo of me on my 7th birthday for the silhouette. The blue chair lived in my room until I was in college. I tried to make the picture look cold, except for the shimmery gold moon and moonbeams. The quilt measures about 14" x 12".
I didn't do much with the stitching part of the challenge. I would have made it much more abstract, but I am going to send the little quilt to my mother's friend, with my photo on the label on the back. Of course Marguerite knew me when I was 7. The quilt is an oval shape both for an old-fashioned feel and because there was nothing interesting to look at in any of the corners!
Critiques are always welcome.

8 comments:

Carole said...

Katie, your friend is going to really appreciate this... for two reasons. First it is her poem,and secondly that you have personalized it with your own silhouette and the 'memory' chair..the shape is unusual and certainly fits the piece. Personally, I like seeing the poem on the artwork. The simplicity of Haiku seems to call for simplicity. The only thing I can say is.. well done!

Tobi said...

There are different levels of abstract, and this is just right to illustrate the haiku. The girl is the focus, but by being a bit off-center, balances the full moon - very nicely done.

Joni said...

Hi Katie,
You really achieved the cold feel in this piece.. brrr. I love the simplicity and the nostalgic feel, your hundred year old friend will be pleased with your rendition of her poem.

Pam Harris said...

The oval shape really captures the nostalgic feeling. Nice job on the moonbeam penetrating the window.

Jan said...

Katie, I think this is one of your best pieces! I love the way it turned out and the sentimentality that accompanies the poem, the chair, and the silhouette. Great job!

Unknown said...

Katie,

Sometimes we try to make difficult pieces when simple is most effective! Your piece says everything it needs to say and more for your friend. I love the background fabric, the twinkle is great and adds to the frosty cold look as do the sheer(?) moonbeams. I am sure that your friend will love the piece!

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Hi Katie
I love the drama created by the silhouette. Along with the simple outline of the blue chair it forms the perfect setting for your friends haiku. She will love it, I'm sure! Very nice work.
Cherie

katieinnebraska said...

Sheer - for the moonbeams I used a shiny sheer from the sale table at a fabric department. Can't remember where. It's gold colored. I used Misty Fuse on it, so it is translucent. Thanks for all the nice comments. I have heard from my friend, and she likes it very much. Serendipity.