Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Challenge #49 "Diving Into Excellence" Pam Clark


This is a person diving into a swimming pool. I entitled it "Diving into Excellence. The light source lights up the diver's legs and the splashing water. I used sparkly textile paints, machine and hand quilting and lots of French knots denoting water droplets. I also tried crinkling my fabric for the first time (I can't remember the name of the product I used, but it was a sheet that I stitched onto the back of my fabric and the steam from the iron crinkled it up. I was trying to give the appearance of the water roiling around the diver as she entered the water.) I also cut the diver out and machine appliqued it to black fabric. I added some decorative border beading. It's rather stylized and I've had people react differently to what they see when they look at the quilt. Some see flower petals, some see an elephant, etc. After studying it, they do see the diver, but on first glance, they see something else.

2 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Pam, sparkly indeed! and wonderful chiaroscuro! I'm wondering about the strong contrast within the right side border and it's size takes away from the diver?
Good job...good to have you in the group again this year!
Cynthia

ann said...

FABULOUS! Contrasts are wonderful and the sparkle stuff just adds that little bit of glitz that I personally love.