Friday, November 26, 2010

One Shape - Rectangles

Since we're not celebrating Thanksgiving until Sunday I worked on my shapes challenge piece the past 2 days. I am on a whim where I will not buy any new fabric and for this challenge I decided to use only fabric pieces I already had fused. I keep almost every little scrap from previous projects. The problem with this is that it does limit me. I had some colored pieces out but did not have enough of what I wanted so I ended going entirely with black, grey, white, and red. I kept laying the pieces until I found them pleasing. There is not high contrast between the black and grey but the black and white check and red does add more contrast. To quilt it I used straight lines which resulted in rectangles being formed in varying sizes. Finished it's 9 1/2" x 14". It can be turned either horizontally or vertically but I personally prefer the horizontal lay.



I'd forgotten how much fun working with shapes is. I'd hoped to do a landscape with one shape but didn't have the fabric already fused. So I guess I can work that one up another time. Thanks for a great challenge!

16 comments:

Silvia "OrkaLoca" Dell'Aere said...

Hi Jan, I agree with you about orientation. I find the orizontal one much more interesting.
It can also be nice in vertical but with the darker half on bottom :)
nice job IMO

Wendy said...

Way to go, Jan! This is exactly what I'd hoped for with this challenge! Your red reads orange on my screen, but still effective with the black and grey.
What I love about this is that you've used rectangles in a variety of shapes and sizes, outlines, solids, and in a variety of orientations. One shape doesn't have to mean a uniform shape or placement....
Fabulous job!

Unknown said...

It is a very interesting piece. The checks and the red really give it life.

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

This is a really great piece and I love your use of negative space. The red/orange adds a vibrancy that you possibly wouldn't achieve with another choice. As for the layout, both have their merits. I prefer the vertical one because it seems to have move of a sense of movement thatn the horizontal does.

fastfriday said...

What a wonderful way to use scraps. Very creative and extremely effective. The orange makes the perfect pop color to wake up the gray and black.

Pat Havey

Linda Mac said...

This is a very attractive piece. The red/orange grabs your attention and moves your eyes around the piece. Good job.

Veronica said...

Jan: I really like the way the red rectangles move your eye around the quilt. The straight line quilting complements the shape. The composition works eqaully well in both orientations.
Veronica Von Zwehl

Kathy said...

Lots of movement in this piece and just enough color and contrast! It must be a good design if it looks good from every orientation, right? I kind of like it with the larger black/white/checkerboard on the bottom in a horizontal orientation. Good choices!

Cherie in Del Mar said...

This piece feels very sophisticated to me...really interesting design! The more I look at it I see totaly different combinations emerge...well done
Cherie

fastfriday said...

I love the low contrast with the pop of pattern and color. I prefer the horizontal version.

Judy Rys

Pam Harris said...

Very nice piece and both orientations are interesting. Great example of just one shape with lots of contast and movement.Your quilting gives an illusion of additional rectangles moving about the piece.

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Jan,
I think you have created a very successful composition. I actually like the lower contrast between the black and gray as I think it provides interest without making the piece too busy.
Kathy L

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Great job Jan. I too like the horizontal view. The black/white and orange really add some zing to your piece.

LAQuilts said...

Very striking. Love the simplicity of it. I imagine if you want to do it portrait you should flip if the heavy side down.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Jan, I'm drawn to your interesting background...it has alot of texture to it which adds depth and dimension, and a good contrast to the crisp b&w and orange. Great job
Cynthia

Carole said...

Just right Jan... the vertical orientation reminds me of a building snapshot... adds curiosity to my mind. Very well done!