Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Challenge 52: Lava


Lava was created from a single piece of my own hand-dyed fabric. I distorted the fabric by slicing is up, staggering the pieces and then sewing it back together. The black strip signifies "nothingness, deep in the earth; where the lava comes from". As usual it is heavily quilted, using 10 different threads to add to the color patterns. I used many metallic threads; gold, bronze red, garnet and black to signify the metals found in lava. I found this challenge exceptionally challenging; the more I studied Color Field Painting, the more I became confused. Hopefully this fits the the description; it was fun and I am happy with the piece. Just need to finish the edges and label it. It measures 22"x26"

8 comments:

janice pd said...

This is gorgeous and IMO a perfect Color Field piece. I love your quilting, too.

Carole said...

Margie, this is spectacular! I think.. from what I can gather.. it fits the challenge. I love your quilting on it.. so 'right'..
Great job!

Sharon Robinson said...

Your quilting is gorgeous, I had to sit and stare at it for awhile. It is just a spectacular piece!

Betty Warner said...

Margie, IMHO this piece is 'color field'. Your creating strips and putting them back together is a great way to emulate the looser edges that some of the painters created. Your quilting is so detailed and varied. It adds a lot of additional interest to the piece. I like looking at it on its side with the black on the bottom too. Great challenge response!

Unknown said...

I am in awe! You have depicted your subject and it's emotion (fire, heat, uncontrollable) so well with both the fabric and the quilting. I could spend a lot of time just admiring your quilting talent. A beautiful piece.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Margie, this is very expressive use of color...love what you have done with the staggering of the pieces to add movement and interest. It belongs in a museum..it's wonderful
Cynthia

LAQuilts said...

I love this representation piece. The black to the left grounds it quite well.

fastfriday said...

Wonderful color, Great movement. I wonder how this piece would look with a bit of black running horizontal 3/4 of the way from the top.
Judy Rys