Saturday, December 04, 2010

Squares Squared



Using squares seemed popular in this challenge, but I had a bag of silk sample squares that I had been sent when I was a Bernina Fashion Show designer in 2003 and this challenge seemed a great time to use some of them. I spray basted the black background fabric to a piece of timtex and drew lines on the timtex to form a grid. I then stitched the lines with metallic thread in the bobbin so it showed on the black fabric. All the silk squares were fused inside the lines, then a second layer was fused on over the intersections, and a third layer over the intersections of the second layer. Even the square beads, a wonderful find at Joann's, were glued on. I stitched a straight line with metallic thread around the silk squares and may do another straight line after I add a felt back to the piece.I enjoyed seeing the interactions between the colors of the fabrics as I layered them. Photographing the piece was a challenge with all the different values and shine of the silk. Best place turned out to be the porch floor on the north side of the house!

The size is 24" x 12".

Comments welcome-great to see so much variety in this challenge.

Nancy Schlegel

14 comments:

Jan said...

This is gorgeious, Nancy! I think it's one of the best for this challenge.

Sharon Robinson said...

I think this is my favorite too. The depth is amazing, it's hard to believe it's really 2D. (It is isn't it?)

Unknown said...

This is really a wonderfully vibrant piece. I love all the play of color on the black and the additional dimension which the square beads add. Very nice work.

Carole said...

Nancy, this is absolutely awesome! Wonderful way to use those silk treasures. I like that you were able to use the gold thread to advantage and it complements without competing. Delightful!

Wendy said...

Wow... nothing much more to say! Spectacular color use and flow... I gotta dig out my silks and take another look at them! Such a great use of shape and color! Way to go, Nancy!

Nancy Schlegel said...

Wow-thanks for all the compliments! I was wondering if it was too simple and rigid with the grid. I need a challenge to loosen up a bit!

It is 2-D. It's actually very flat looking with everything fused down and no quilting plus using the timtex as the base adds to the flat look.

My original plan was to do a tryptich-we'll see how much interest I can muster about cutting up more squares. Or-hmm-make the next one more free form and the third totally chaotic.

Nancy

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Lot's of depth in this piece and it certainly looks three D. Great piece for this challenge.

LAQuilts said...

Very vibrant. Simple would not be a word to describe it. Are those square beads?

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Nancy, I like your idea for 2 companion pieces ending in chaos. If you can get some quilting onto it, you could enter it in Houston. It's that good. Masterful use of color!
Cynthia

Nancy Schlegel said...

Now I really feel encouraged to do two more pieces! This one has several lines of quilting with one line that will go through the front, timtex and backing. Is that enough for Houston? Probably with an art quilt.

The beads are square too-a square shape with empty space inside. Exactly what I was wanting when I went shopping.

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

There's not much left to say. Your quilt is wonderful and the illusion of depth that you have created in very convincing. I can hardly wait to see your companion pieces!

Cherie in Del Mar said...

This is so dramatic! Your color placement is fabulous. I hope you will post the full tryptic when it's ready :-) Well done!
Cherie

fastfriday said...

Great job with silk and layers..love the colors.
Janice Simpson

fastfriday said...

Loved your colorful, vibrant quilt, Nancy.
Meena