Thursday, December 09, 2010

Triangles


My shape is a triangle. Design Size - 14 X 16 with the triangle edges. The lines are illusionary, because each triangle is double layered with the top layer a bit smaller than the bottom to allow the bottom layer to show through.
I added the edging triangles because the thing looked silly as a rectangle. I'll consider how to construct the edges when I finalize that part of the design. Right now my feeling is to keep the irregular edges but without a fabric background.
This is just the design created in Corel. One concern is balance, and whether the (illusionary) diagonal lines on the right side should point in toward the center lines , or whether, as an abstract design, it works as it is. Actually, it's a matter of the direction of the light triangles more than the lines.
I feel the darks & lights balance themselves, but other comments are appreciated.
My other concern is the lack of a focal point. I’ve just finished 2 Quilt University classes; Elizabeth Barton’s Inspired To Design, and Lyric Kinard’s Artist Toolbox, so focal point is very much on my mind. There definitely is no place for the eye to rest, but I have no idea what would constitute a focal point in this design, unless it would be the center of the crossed diagonal lines just above the center of the piece.
I really like the serendipity-ness of the secondary design formed by the light and dark lines, but they also create the problem - if that makes sense.
The color scheme is yellow-green and violet. I was trying for a split complementary scheme, but the yellow-orange just doesn’t seem to work too well. I also tried yellow-green and red-violet complements, and that’s sort of iffy but might work.
Using a grayscale as a reference for the values, the only other color scheme that highlights the secondary design seems to be the red/black with white. I have some tone on tone red prints that might be interesting, but the over-all look of the piece would lose its more delicate look. I’m not sure that would be a bad thing, it’s just an analytical statement.
This design is sooooo much fun to play with. There are too many new secondary designs formed by rotating the triangles that it’s hard to stop.
I would appreciate any comments concerning the issues I have mentioned, plus any that a fresh eye may see that I have missed.

6 comments:

Tobi said...

This so much belongs on the blog (as Liz wanted to do), that I had to help get it up. The bright choice of colors and the repetition of the shape creates a stunning and eye-catching piece.

fastfriday said...

When I opened our blogger page the purple triangles just popped out...there's your focal point.
I really like it the way you finished it with a solid border. I do like iregular borders but with pointed triangles it would look like your reaching for more!!
Janice

Julia in NZ said...

Fascinating shape, especially where you get lines from superimposing triangles. Would you envisage this all fused, or pieced?

For dramatic tension, I am wondering about leaving out one or two triangles, or changing the sizes of some pieces?

Many happy hours of play can result!

Wendy said...

Love this.. would love to see it in fabric. It would take some really good piecing! Nice work.

Unknown said...

This does have a focal point with the triangles forming a whirling pattern, but your eye is drawn to the center.

I really love the concept of NOT having a regular border but just having the triangles...in fact, I think that no border really would enhance it even though it would be a major pain in the tuckus. When you compare the Corel drawing to the colored image on the left, it just has more vitaility and interest because it ISN'T blocked in.

I would like to see a little more pizzaz..you've got such a dynamic piece. I'm wondering, and just try this out on your computer, what about a VERY thin yellow orange line...like maybe just the thickness of a stitched (or bobbin painted) perle cotton?

Valerie W. said...

I think that piece does have a focal point, the diagonal line that runs though it. I love the contrast of the colours too. It would look very cool with a irregular border.

Val F.