Thursday, December 30, 2010

Untitled by Pat f in Winnipeg

Or maybe I should call it "More trouble Than it was Worth". When I first saw the challenge and looked at the references, I thought that it either had to be layered transparent fabrics or paint. Since I had no transparent fabric, I chose paint. This is a gelatin mono-print on polyester satin. I was given the satin and it's not something I would normally use. I used Seta-color for the printing. It was then FMQ'd and satin stitched around the edge. I actually love the print, and think that the satin is an effective background. Putting it through my machine was another issue--one that involved a hurried trip to the repair shop on the other side of the city. Considering that this is a holiday weekend, and he had no parts in stock, he was nice enough to lend me the part off one of his floor models. Whe-e-ew! I had visions of not being able to use my machine for a week or more, as it was my throat plate mechanism that fell into pieces--yes pieces. Anyway, it's finished and before deadline. Now I have to try to get it into the album.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Kudos to you for seeing this one through! I like your use of a different technique to meet the challenge. This is very vibrant with a lot of energy, which to me also translates into tension. There is no definite background and the shapes are very organic and unidentifiable (is there such a word?). Sorry that it was such a trial for you!

Anonymous said...

I really like the green next to the red; the teal and cherry shades you mixed.
Very pretty!

I too had dismissed the idea of using transparent fabrics. I didn't have the colors needed but mostly because I lack the skill in making the stuff behave.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Pat...good to see your work again! Love your piece. Interesting shapes, transparency and textures...great job!
Cynthia

janice pd said...

I like your colors and the transparency you created with the monoprint. Nice job.

Carole said...

Very interesting piece Pat, and good for you for staying with it!
The piece demands a closer look the curve of the turquoise is .. well not focal... but inviting...

LAQuilts said...

I guess I won't suggest more stitching. But I would suggest cropping the piece so there isn't a white border.

Betty Warner said...

This is a wonderful print, very engaging. Good for you for working through this. That turquoise curve draws you right in and keeps you there - not unlike the color field artists. Great job responding to the challenge!

Veronica said...

Hi Pat: I really like the texture you have achieved within each color. The close up kind of reminds me of catus trees. Great job. Veronica Von Zwehl

Unknown said...

How something can have crispness and flow at the same time is beyond me...but that's what I feel about your piece. I guess the colors and overall shapes give a crisp element, while the actual techniqe gives you the flow of large brush strokes.

You've achieved rhythm and balance. Wonderful piece overall. Good job!

Pam Harris said...

Thanks for sharing your technique. Nice flow and very pleasing piece.