Friday, January 07, 2011

Challenge 52: "Border Crossings"

After a VERY long absence (sorry--I don't know what happened to me last year) I'm back in full force! I loved this challenge; it was very educational, made me really think, and inspired me to create something. I don't know how well I succeeded in meeting the goal of creating a "color field" piece, since I'm not sure I fully understand the concept, but I thoroughly enjoyed working on this wall quilt that I'm calling "Border Crossings."

I couldn't figure out how to make the blocks of color seem "blended," so I gave up on that and tried to sort of confuse the eye instead. I had to REALLY fight myself not to quilt this piece to death (my usual MO) because of the "flat texture" look of color fields. Since there's not a lot of quilting, some of the fabric looks a little "loose" (I'm not really sure how to describe it--you know that slight wrinkly effect you get between quilting lines?) so I'm going to starch and iron it as soon as I find my spray starch (long story).

Your comments are greatly appreciated! Michele

7 comments:

California Fiber artist and composer said...

I love the vivid colors and how the circles break up the lines. I am having trouble figuring this one out too.

Pam Harris said...

Welcome Back!! You came back in great style. I really like the piece especially since not all the circles are mirror images which adds extra interest and intrigue. Keeps the eye moving around the piece. I think the amount of quilting is good for piece as more would be distracting to me.

Pam Harris said...

Forgot to mention...GREAT colors!

Judy Rys said...

Great colors. Very whimsical. I think the flatness of the color field style is difficult for us because texture is what most of us are attracted to. I personally think this piece would be fantastic if you added more quilting.

Unknown said...

Actually, I think that the problem with our definition of Color Field is that from what my research can tell, it sort of evolved and there are several different "versions" so to speak, with some basic unifying characteristics. While the definition says "blurred edges" some of paintings don't have blurred edges from a distance, it is only when you get up close and see the painting edges that they are soft.

Since we are working in fabric and some of us piece and we are also looking at it as little thumbnails, I think it makes it harder...plus, different artists interpreted it differently.

I love the emotion in this piece...it reads "happy!" Bubbly! Fun! I think you could play around and even change up the size of your circles more as well as play with layout (no stripes, rectangles.....all sorts of things) and develop a series on it.

I think the quilting aspect is one which makes it really hard....at least for me. Quilting adds texture and this is supposed to be flat...hmmmmm. Good job!

Madalene Axford Murphy said...

I really like your bold color choice and your placement of the circles--sort of near the seam line but not exactly on it. The unstraight bound edges work very well with this piece.

Kathy said...

This is just a great idea-provoking piece, and isn't that what a challenge is for? Now that your brain has absorbed the theory of the challenge, you really could develop this into a series, not based on color field, but colors and shapes and quilting that fits into who you are. I smile when I look at this!