Sunday, January 02, 2011

Challenge #52 Color Field



Color Field #1-1000

This was so named because it will cover me for any color field quilt from now ‘till #1000!!! Let’s just say that this is not my art love. Everything I read seemed to contradict the last thing read----so finally just made a stab at it without looking at what anyone else had done. It is not quilted—rectangles and “spear” were ironed on and then machine appliqued down. Also not finished.

It measures 6" x 11.5".

Happy New Year to all--Sally

I looked at the comments from members and decided to try to remedy the poor little thing. I'm not sure it was successful. I do like turning it 90°. The quilting does not add anything to the Color Field---but did give me a chance to try some new things. I got a wonderful new thread stand for Christmas and can now use some threads that were just impossible before. The satin stitch on the edges is truly terrible. Nothing I tried made it better. So---it will just have to be. The size is the same. Onward and upward! Sally


7 comments:

Sharon Robinson said...

Sally, it's GREAT! You are one of the few that did the more "Rothko" type color fields. And the "slash" is very dramatic. Statement on what you think about the Color Field style??? ;)

Unknown said...

Love the color choices! I also like the layout...One thing which would be fun to play with is a little more contrast in value..that is, a lighter value somewhere.

Lisa Q.

janice pd said...

I like your palette Sally, and the slash is dramatic. I would like to see this rotated horizontally.

Carole said...

Sally... good for you for even trying! I, too like the colors and the slash.I really hope you do finish it... and after looking at all the pieces posted to this challenge, you will get ideas...
I hope you finish it and share again.

Nancy Schlegel said...

I see someone suggested having the quilt horizontally. I happen to like it vertically-personal preference. I do find the heavy pink threads in the left portion drawing my eye there too much. The slash is definitely a plus. Keep playing with the idea and use this as a springboard for another piece if you're not satisfied with it.

Michele/TextileTraveler said...

Sally, I think it's an excellent start. The slash is very dramatic, both because it cuts across the color blocks and because it contrasts with them. Someone else on here (Lisa Q?) talked a little about "color field" art representing the artist's mood or what was in the artist's mind at the time of creation. Maybe that could be clearer in this piece? I can't really read the "mood" of the piece. I'm not sure how you could emphasize that--paint? additional threads or small fabric pieces?

Pam Harris said...

I think the heavy pink threads make a target for the Slash--a goal and beyond. Horizonal orientation is more dramatic.