Saturday, January 01, 2011

Four Spirits

I wasn't sure if I've have time to do a challlenge this month. Holidays, of course, plus work and the usual stuff. Then we had an 18" snowfall starting on Wednesday, which closed most of the town including my clinic for 2 days. Nice. Perfect snow dyeing weather! And my deck had 18" of fresh powder that was perfect for the project. I've only done ice dyeing before (using pellet ice), but the idea is the same. The first batch (yesterday) was fine, altho pale. So I mixed up fresh dye this morning and did another. This piece was fan folded, then folded in half. Instead of placing it on a draining screen (which I did yesterday), I just put 4 FQ's in a bin (some twisted, some scrunched, this one folded), and loaded the bin with snow and poured on the dye. I used fire red, cerulean blue, moss green and golden yellow, and had no idea what piece was under which part of the snow.
Then, of course, the hard part is waiting for the snow to melt! It was a pretty muddy mess when it was all melted, but I rinsed and washed and dried, and this is what appeared. I think it's color field!
I immediately saw 4 spirit figures (or dancers...). It's not quilted .... I might just put it on stretcher bars and hang it.
Comments of course, are welcome!
Wendy in very cold Flagstaff on New Year's Eve

11 comments:

LAQuilts said...

Interesting technique. I would love to see it quilted right now it looks like a beautiful piece of fabric. I almost think I'd like it with three dancers verses four.

Wendy said...

There were actually 4 1/2 images.. I cropped the photo. Still considering what to do with it!

fastfriday said...

This is a very intriguing design. I'd love to try the snow technique some time. God knows we certainly have enough snow in Iowa right now. When I look at this piece, I see Christmas tree ornaments hanging on a tree. The background gives the appearance of a tree. A very fun piece. Pam Clark, Iowa

Veronica said...

I just love this quilt. It looks very mysterious and there are so many subtle things going on within the fabric. Great colors, too. I hope you post an update of the final quilted version. Veronica Von Zwehl

"Rhojo" Baldwin said...

Great fabric! I have a very similar piece left from my snow dyeing last year. I vote to quilt this as is. Can't wait to see where you go with it.

Betty Warner said...

What a beautiful fabric! I, too, would love to see what you end up doing with it. I see color field, I see other things as well. For example, plants or reflections, or sun. Regarding quilting, perhaps some barely visible vertical lines giving emphasis to the four sections, then wrap it on stretcher bars and you will have wonderful piece.

Great job!

Joni said...

Wendy,this is breath taking. I love the rich colors you achieved. Life gave you a blizzard, and you made the very best of it. I hope you will quilt it.

Unknown said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! Instead of bemoaning winter, I need to do some snow dyeing. This is an abstract piece with many different interpretations. The yellow makes the piece glow. I would agree with minimal quilting and letting the piece stand on it's own merit!

fastfriday said...

Beautiful piece of fabric. It has an incredible sparkle to it.

janice pd said...

Gorgeous as a whole, but any section of this sliced off would fulfill the color field style.

Carole said...

Wendy, this one is so-o-ooo beautiful.... knowing you as I do.. my cyber-friend... I can see something spiritual.. maybe yoga.. something 'totem'...can't wait to see what you do.. please, let us know.