Sunday, February 06, 2011

Au Pear

I have been under the weather these past couple of weeks and was not able to do what I wanted in this challenge. I came up with this simple piece because it was fast and easy and didn't take a lot of time. I just did not have the energy to do a lot. This piece is fused and has raw edges. This is not yet quilted and any suggestions for this would be greatly appreciated. I wasn't quite sure how to do this without taking away from the three dimensional look of the piece.

4 comments:

fastfriday said...

Hi Deborah, You've achieved good dimension on that pear, and the shadows are great! One suggestions may be to add a table on which the pear sits, and you could vary the quilting between the background and the table. Chris Predd

Jan said...

I like the dimension with the pear, too. I'd just quilt the pear as to its shape, tighter on the edges and not as much towards the fullest part of the pear. I agree with Chris that adding a table might help, or just cutting away some of the background so the pear is more the focus rather than so much background.

Susan Ward said...

Deborah - This lloks like a good start. An idea for quilting you might want to start the quilting with outline of the pear, continue each row in the same manner.

Hope you feel better
Susan Ward

http://artquiltssusanpi.blogspot.com/

Susan B said...

What a yummy looking pear. Very effective, I think! Quilting can be scary, especially on a piece that is working so well, but it seems like good advice to follow the contours of the fruit. Could the background quilting more or less follow the wood-like grain of the fabric in a low contrast thread? Good luck!