Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Ch. 53, Mesa Verde

I choose Mesa Verde as my theme for this month's challenge on depth.  For those who have visited Mesa Verde, you will know that the dwellings are built into the side of steep canyon walls.  This view is from across the canyon, showing the land in the foreground, and the land above the cliff dwellings on the other side of the canyon.

This is an applique, size 17 1/2" x 18 1/2".  Materials used are commercial fabrics, dye sticks for shading, and a fabric marker to outline the dwellings.  It is not yet quilted, as I haven't decided if it will stand alone, or be joined to more scenes of the area. I still have several ideas I'd like to try.

Thank you, in advance, for your comments.

8 comments:

fastfriday said...

Linda, nice colors and depth, which will be further enhanced when quilted. That tree and branch is striking in its' dimension! Chris Predd

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Hi Linda...Funny thing- I am wearing my souvenir sweatshirt from Mesa Verde today as I view your post,so I knew instantly what I was looking at :-) I will look forward to seeing it quilted. Lovely piece
Cherie

Jan said...

Nice piece! I love Mesa Verde. Great colors in the piece, too.

janice pd said...

I like the way you achieved depth with the foreground greenery and tree.

Susan Ward said...

Reminds me of a track of houses on the way into Santa Fe NM. Looks awesome
Susan Ward
Quilting In Kentucky
http://artquiltssusanpi.blogspot.com/

Veronica said...

Great choice of colors. I really like the way you added shadows for the bushes at the top of the quilt. I also think the thin tree trunk is a great design element and adds a lot to the quilt. Nice job. Veronica Von Zwehl

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Hi Linda,
I can't wait to see more of these! The tree in the forground does an amazing job of creating depth.
Kathy L

Susan B said...

Love the play of light and shadow across the buildings. The tree in the foreground really does add another layer of depth.