Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Challenge # 53



Boy was I happy when I saw this challenge for Feb. The past two have been way out of my comfort zone. Educational but out of my zone. I have worked in this manner for quite some time so was glad for this breather.

Almost all of my work starts with inspiration from a photograph. This one was taken by my husband in NY. I chose a commercial grass fabric for the background and used hand-dyed fabrics for the cone flowers. After I placed and fused the flowers to my satisfaction I painted over them to get depth. I used Tsukineko inks diluted with Aloe jell. I've found that that gives me much more control over the ink's flow. I free motion quilted grass in the background and enhanced the flower with thread. This piece finished out at 11" x 11" but I may mat with an 8 x 10. Comments are appreciated

10 comments:

fastfriday said...

Lots of depth in that coneflower, Marilyn. Glad you enjoyed the challenge. Chris Predd

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Wow Marilyn, I thought I was looking at your husbands photo until I looked at the zoom! Very lovely and your thread painting really pops the flowers. Nice work
Cherie

Jan said...

They look real enough to pick! Lovely...

janice pd said...

Nice work Marilyn. I love your placement of the flowers. Very real looking for using hand dyed fabrics!

Susan Ward said...

Marilyn - Beautiful cone flowers.
I would like to hang this on my wall:)
Susan Ward
Quilting In Kentucky

http://artquiltssusanpi.blogspot.com/

Veronica said...

The flowers have great dimension and are positioned well to lead your eye into the quilt. I like that you added the smaller bud of a flower at the bottom. Very realistic and the color you used for the flowers is fantastic. Great job. Veronica Von Zwehl

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Marilyn,
The fact that you are comfortable with this style is evident in your finished piece. The flowers are beautiful with the highlights in just the right places!
Kathy L

Susan B said...

Nice work, Marilyn. The background was a great choice, the beautiful red flowers pop out against it. The flowers themselves are completely realistic. One could reach in and pick them.

fastfriday said...

The shading on the flowers makes them look real enough to pick. Beautiful quilt

Pat Havey

Marilyn Wall said...

Thanks you all for your comments