Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Peek Hole on a Winter world

Since realism is my thing I really got excited about this challenge. While looking over the links for this site I happened to remember a picture I had drawn several years ago and surprisingly was able to grab the correct sketch book even. But I was surprised at just how many 'several years ago' was. Seems I drew it in 1980! Still worked... So I took a photo of the pencil drawing and then printed it onto an 8" x 10" piece of fabric. The 3 faces weren't as dramatic in black and white so I used colored pencils to give their skin and shirts some color. I didn't want to overdo since they were to be in the background. When quilting the piece I did very little on the faces themselves just outlining their features.
I found the perfect piece of fabric for the frosty window but had very little left so I fused it and began cutting pieces to fit the windows. Since frost seems to go every which way on a window anyhow this worked out perfectly. I'd thought maybe doing a log cabin but then felt the brown would make the piece too dark so opted for modern white siding. Next were the pine branches, and yes, all those pine needles were individually cut from left-over green fabrics from other projects. Then, since I love birds, I put a lovely little White-crowned Sparrow on a branch for the father and sons to look at. The shadows are all thread painted. It's 15 1/2" x 17". I think it met the criteria.


I've included a photo of the drawing I did originally for comparison.

13 comments:

fastfriday said...

Jan, how beautiful! Your drawing is perfect and you achieved the depth of the family looking out from the inside. This is certainly a piece for your to exhibit with pride. Chris Predd

ann said...

This is absolutely WONDERFUL. The thread painted shading is amazing. Congratulations on a lovely piece of art.

"Rhojo" Baldwin said...

Jan,
Your work is so lovely. Great use of a previous sketch and shading is perfect. Well done!

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Oh Jan, this is stunning! I feel like I'm looking at the window in person. Lovely piece, a real treasure...
Cherie

:Diane said...

Jan, The thread painted shadows are perfectly wonderful. Very inspiring but a little intimidating as well. Looks like a show piece to me.

Susan B said...

This is wonderful. The realism is exceptional. Love the bird and the shadowed branches.

janice pd said...

Great job Jan! My favorite parts are the shadows on the branches. IMO they make the piece.

Marilyn Wall said...

Jan, this is really lovely. I hope that you will enter this in some of the National shows. The drawing is so moving.

Susan Ward said...

Wonderful you are so creative! The depth is lovely! Good Job

Quilting In Kentucky
http://artquiltssusanpi.blogspot.com/

Betty Donahue said...

Absolutely fabulous.

Betty

Veronica said...

What an amazing piece. You really nailed this challenge. The shadows of the pine boughs are very effective adding more dimension to the foreground. The glass looks very real also. Great, great job. Veronica Von Zwehl

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Jan,
This is a lovely piece! You did a great job of crossing media from paper to fabric!
Kathy L

fastfriday said...

What a beautiful work of art as well as a beautiful memory. Your work is impeccable

Pat Havey