Saturday, February 05, 2011

Tulips on a Table

What a fun challenge! This is the first time I have tried to work in this fashion and it was exciting to try. I started with a sketch of some tulips I had made years ago. Then folded a ribbon bow and laid it on a table. Then a did a new sketch of the tulips with the bow and colored it in with colored pencils until I had the shading correct. Finally, I fused solid pieces of fabric onto the background and shaded them with thread painting (a first for me) and colored pencil. Will I need to use a fixative on the pencil? Last, I layered and quilted the piece. I'm looking forward to trying this process again -- and welcome your comments!

6 comments:

fastfriday said...

Ticia, I can feel your enthusiasm for this project as I read your process......nice depth in those tulips and bow. Great challenge piece! Chris Predd

Kathy Lichtendahl said...

Ticia,
Your tulips are lovely! Your pencil work looks great. Whether or not you need to fix the pencil depends on the brand you used, among other things. Having said that I always feel it is better to be safe than sorry so use a watered down mixture of fabric medium to seal any pencil work.
Kathy L

janice pd said...

Nice job on the ribbon and the gold edge. I really like the textures you used for the table and wall.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

What a sweet piece Ticia. Like a valentine! I too love the detail on the ribbon
Cherie

Jan said...

The background pieces are perfect for this piece. As large as they are they don't distract from the tulips. Until I zoomed in I thought the ribbon had been tied and sewn on. Great depth there! The tulips' shadow is wonderful, too The only suggestion I might make is that you somehow darken the inside shading of the tulips to make them appear fuller. Fabric paint, stitching, etc.
Like it lots!

Marilyn Wall said...

I too thought the bow had been tied and sewn onto the piece. Great job.