Saturday, April 30, 2011

Summer Heat

11" X 13"
The background image of a spring flower was blurred and printed to fabric, cut into 1/4 " strips and placed between analogous fabric strips. The foreground used
photographs printed on fabric and thread painted and thread outlines of coneflowers.
The background was too bright and busy to work with
my initial inspiration and concept derived from Andy Goldsworthy's work.
As a result, the finished quilt is far more representational.
The challenge and research links were great.

Thanks again. Your comments are appreciated.



6 comments:

Unknown said...

My mouth is watering over this one! Of course, I am one who is much more comfortable making representational pieces rather than abstracts. That being said, I think your background is very interesting and sets off the flowers well. I like that you layered the flowers using two different techniques and your thread painting is delicious. The colors set my heart aflutter. Can you tell how much I like this piece? Great work!

LAQuilts said...

Your background is fantastic. I like the shadow flowers in thread.

Pat .F in Winnipeg said...

Wow! You hit this challenge dead on. I love this, and I'm dying to try the technique. What a wonderful colour sense you have! I wouldn't suggest a single thing done any differently.
Pat F in Winnipeg

Susan Ward said...

Incredible art quilt. I love the colors, the flow, the abstract expression is an awesome quality of thought!
Good JOB

Betty Donahue said...

Really lovely.

Silvia "OrkaLoca" Dell'Aere said...

I love this quilt and I don't think the background is too busy. I think it is perfect and makes the coneflowers pop-up from the quilt. I love it!