Friday, September 30, 2011

Pissarro Quilt




I knew immediately which painting I wanted to use for this challenge. A friend and I had gone to the Clark Art Institute in Williamstown MA to see the Pissarro show. I loved the soft green, blue, and peach colors of his Apple Pickers painting. I found that finding a copy of the painting on the internet with true colors was very difficult and even played with the one I found to make it darker and have more contrast-closer to the painting as I remembered it.Looking closely at the painting, I could see more colors than I first realized-shades of blue and green, plus the peach were obvious but there was also small amounts of yellow, orange and tan and dark brown. I tried to keep the color palette somewhat in proportion to the painting.

I used some of the silk fabric that my friend sent me and made a long narrow quilt 8" x 24" to fit an artist canvas frame that I bought. The embroidered flowers came on the fabric as did the buttons on the peach fabric. Working in geometric shapes seems to be easier for me but I'm not sure it is as artistic as decorative.

Nancy Schlegel, Albany NY

3 comments:

Jan said...

I like your decorative description of this piece. Sometimes that's why we make a piece of art. I do like the soothing colors of the original and your piece. The flowers are placed in the right places to draw your eye over the piece and then look again. Nice...

Tobi said...

Quite a different feel for your piece in contrast to the painting, since your colors are in blocks where the painting looks rather pointilistic. Can you give a title to your piece?

Susan Ward said...

What a great collection of fabrics, has a great look. You combined a traditional quilt look with a modern feel. Good job.