Friday, September 30, 2011

Harvest Time


Not yet bound, but ready to post by the deadline. I guess I don't really have a favorite painting. I like so many by different artists. I live on a farm and it's harvest time here so while checking for paintings to use I came across this one of corn waiting to be harvested by Joy Appenzeller Bauer. I used the fall colors in the painting and threw in some olive green to show that there still is some green here during harvest. I quilted it in circles to show the combine wheels going round and round in the fields.

9 comments:

Nancy Schlegel said...

I really like this piece and not just for the fall colors which you used successfully. The partial circles that overlap and repeat are very eye catching and make a good design.

Nancy Schlegel

Betty Donahue said...

Wonderful design. Pretty colors....

Julia in NZ said...

I like the skewed diagonals and the partial circles. The contrast is almost Notan in feel, so there are a lot of factors contributing to its success. Good job!

katieinnebraska said...

I really like the composition of this quilt. The square intersection and the circles remind me of farm fields with pivots seen from the air, only more interestingly balances.
How do you quilt such good circles? Beautiful piece!

Susan Ward said...

Your use of light and dark with the different shapes gives this a dimensional look - like yin and yang ! Perfect for fall. Nice job

Susan Ward said...

Your use of light and dark with the different shapes gives this a dimensional look - like yin and yang ! Perfect for fall. Nice job

Unknown said...

This one really caught my eye! I appreciate abstracts very much and this one is done well. You achieved balance and movement in this piece. The green circles move my eye through the piece. Nice quilting which supports the focus of the quilt. It truly does tell the story of harvest time.

Pam Harris said...

Nice composition! I really like that one of the green stripes goes under The background squares. Adds dimension.

Ann In Fallbrook, CA said...

This is my favorite use of color. Your composition is great and I like the juxtaposition of hard and soft lines.
Ann In Fallbrook, CA