Friday, March 02, 2012

Eucalyptus Rainbow Tree

I have finally finished this challenge which I began in February of this year.  I trapuntoed the colored pieces of bark and then quilted them with black metallic thread.  I then quilted the background bark using a pattern which mimicked the shape of the colored pieces.  I added a light coating of Shiva Paint Stick to the dark bark to add dimension and interest.  I am very happy with the finished product and will probably explore it more in future projects.













Okay, I decided to come out and play after many months of inactivity. It wasn't that I didn't follow the challenges and map out a plan, but I just didn't get any farther than the planning stage. Oh well, that is water under the bridge now and I choose to move forward rather than dwell in the past.

For my line reference I chose the beautiful bark of the Eucalyptus Rainbow Tree. I must admit to taking artistic license in interpreting the bark, but I am more of an organic line person than geometric. My color scheme was taken from a photo of the tree bark. I cut my pieces and then fused them to the background foundation piece attempting to leave interesting negative shapes. I will eventually trapunto the bark and densely quilt the background to complete the piece. I just wanted to get the piece to this point before the week ended. Thank you Cynthia for the nudge towards completion rather than perfection!

4 comments:

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Louise...good to see you back here! I have never heard of a eucalyptus rainbow tree, so I looked it up on the internet. What fantastic trees...they really are this colorful!
Wonderful job on the line and color both. This will be exquisite with the quilting completed. I'd say do another larger one and enter it into a show.
Cynthia

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind words Cynthia! It feels good to be creating again. I am looking forward to finishing this piece because I know that the quilting will breathe life into it! God truly is the most wonderful artist among other things.

Sharon Robinson said...

Interesting! I've never heard of that tree either, but is sure is beautiful. I love the way you interpreted the shapes of the bark.

Wendy said...

Love the colors and the theme. Even tree bark makes a great inspiration! Would love to see the final product.