Friday, May 11, 2012
The gestalt principles here are similarity/differences, and proximity, to create a trio of plants. I used reverse applique, with the base fabric being a piece of dark brown stretchy velvet, which adds a richness to the piece. The curlicue pattern at the bottom was part of the fabric when I bought it; it seems that on the basis of a bit of an embroidered pattern, it could be imported for a lower price, as embroidery, rather than as velvet! At any rate, I chose to keep it, and when I mounted the whole piece on foam core, decided to make the lower edge echo that shape.
Machine problems plagued the sewing of the satin stitch around the leaves, but I managed it on my older machine by going ve-e-e-e-ry slowly!