Saturday, February 23, 2013

Cottage Door

Cottage Door, 4" x 6"
 
When the FFF Challenge came out, I was excited.  I had taken about 1,000 photos in Carmel between Christmas 2011 and New Years Day 2012.  I was so disappointed that the wedding photos were so awful, I had just stuck the album away on my computer.  Now, I had an excuse to examine it. 
 
Friday evening I went through lots of building, door and window photos. Finally, I found this little turquoise door which held me enchanted.  I printed it using my Epson pigment printer late Friday night.  I thought I would just 'stitch it up' in the morning.  Almost 12 hours later it is done.  In person, it is tactilely dimensional.  I stitched in layers similarly to what I did in 'Nine Patch in White'.  http://designerann.blogspot.com/2013/02/nine-patch-in-white.html
 
I love the idea.  However, I thought I would go nuts stitching the window panes.  I will NOT be doing that again.  I got very tired of the stitching when it was only about 1/3 done.  Hopefully, it is a lesson learned.
 
Although I like it.  It was way way too too much work for the final result as a post card.  I think it would not have been any more work to make it in a larger size.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great piece you have managed to produce in such a short amount of time. I love the depth and dimension which you have been able to create by your threadwork. The shadows are wonderful and the detail is great. A very nice piece.

Sharon Robinson said...

Ann, I found it captivating. The stitching may have been tedious but the end result is wonderful. I love the contrast of shadows and bright white wall as well as the stitched shrubbery.

Susan B said...

Ann, This is charming and beautiful. Sharon's word "captivating" is a perfect description. I would add intriguing and welcoming. I want to go there and step inside. I like the contrast between the deep darks and the bright white. As a viewer, I appreciate all your stitching that made this come alive.

Jan said...

I'd like to live here. Nice that you could use a photo to depict this month's challenge. I like the way you've quilted to enhance certain parts.

fastfriday said...

I want to go there! What a wonderful picture to start with, and your stitching enhances the texture very nicely. The added labor was worth it, at least from my perspective as the viewer!

Robert Hartley

FoulkeArt said...

This is a charming piece! The stitching helps achieve great texture, and the image itself brings contrast to the elements of the piece.

Cay Denise said...

Ann, I agree with you about a larger piece not taking much more work. You'd have longer stitching lines, but wouldn't have to turn the piece so often.

In this piece, your base photo has contrast and you've developed/enhanced that quality through the stitching and your thread color choices. Its a charming cottage door!

Tobi said...

At first glance I'd have thought it was a photograph, and your attention to detail, including the tedious stitching of the window panes, brought out that effect. It reminds me of houses I've seen in England, somehow. A very nice piece, Ann.