Sunday, May 05, 2013

His Eyes Bored Into My Soul

 
I took this picture of an owl when my husband and I were in Alaska a few years ago.  His intense stare has always enthralled me.  I used Photoshop filters to alter the picture of the owl.  I found a yellow fabric in my stash that matched the yellow of his eyes, to help highlight the eyes.  I used browns as the frame so as not to take away the intensity of the eyes. As shown by the close up, the owl is heavily quilted except for the eyes and the beak. I have always wanted to do something with this photo and really enjoyed making this quilt. I have several other ideas for eyes but decided on this one.  I may continue with this theme for a while. I truly enjoyed this challenge!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great photo and the eyes are very distinct. I would like to see the stitching closer, but what I can see enhances the piece. Now you will have this to remember your adventures in Alaska!

fastfriday said...

This is a very striking quilt, and the eyes really do create a wonderful focal point. Great work! Pam Clark

Tobi said...

The echo of color of the eyes in the binding is very striking, both the black and the yellow; it almost looks like the owl is right there on the other side of a window.

Marilyn Wall said...

The eyes are wonderful, did you add the black around the eyes, it look 3-D?

fastfriday said...

A wonderful owl with riveting eyes!