Many years ago, I created the mandala shown here, with three whirls in black on a white background, and a solid five pointed star which wasn't really there, but implied in the missing parts of the three whirls. So for this challenge, I decided instead to have a background picture, with a similar whirl pattern.
Making it was harder than I expected. I first laid out the tree, a rather simple one, on a piece of white fabric, then taped together enough paper to make the whirl pattern, cut it out and laid it on top, and it was too big! I ended up cutting three spirals, and laid a star on top, then cut out the star, and decided to make it with lines instead of solid. I pinned the paper on my tree and carefully cut the fabric. Once I satin-stitched the pieces down, I felt I had lost too much of the tree, and added lines of stitching across the white. The star is edge-stitched with gold metallic thread, in part because it didn't seem to come out as well as I expected.
And then, with all that done, I saw that the left arm of the star is over-sized! It is not completely finished, still needs to be tacked down on the foam core circle, so the circle will be better defined when that is done. I'd call this a partial success. Karol, thanks for an interesting challenge. I welcome any comments.