Monday, September 01, 2014

Ole'


When I saw the list of possibilities for this challenge, it motivated me to start and finish a quilt I had been planning for a long time. So it became a celebration of National Spanish Heritage Month and National Chicken Month.

I have been saving fabrics that looked Mexican, and I will add this to my series of roosters that I have been working on this summer.

This measures about 17" x 18", and is all commercial cottons, fused and machine quilted.
I enjoy using fabrics in unusual ways, and the tail feathers are from a Laurel Burch print of horses, and the wings holding the maracas are from a very colorful tropical fish fabric...

It was lots of fun, fussy cutting each and every feather, and seeing it come together as I added them on, one by one. 

This was a great challenge - very open-ended and accessible! 


5 comments:

Meena said...

I love the festive colors and mood of this fun quilt

Anne Sonner said...

What a great quilt! Color, culture and humor.

fastfriday said...

Ole' indeed! How fun is this! Great use of color, imagery, and whimsy. I love all the variety of prints/colors and can almost hear the maracas shaking. Very energetic. Great job!

Robert Hartley

Peggi Yac said...

What a festive rooster! Love all your color bits.

Unknown said...

I love this! It is a wonderful answer to my challenge, fun and festive and I also like how you combined two celebrations into one. Great job!