Saturday, March 31, 2007

Red Hat Birthday


As a newbie to the artsy-side of quilting, there were too many different materials that I've never used before, so picking something was the challenge for me. That being said, the new materials that I used on this postcard, was seed beeds, & fun fur. I had glued a few jewels to some work, but had never tried to bead before. I know that you aren't supposed to see the center of the beads, & you can see some of them on my card, but just doing it gave me great satisfaction. At least I'm not afraid of it anymore. Also I had never couched fibers before. The fun fur was difficult to control at first, but I did get the hang of it. Best of all, this card will be going to a friend of mine for her birthday this month. She is a red-hatter! If anyone has any visual links on beginner beading they could share with me, I would be so grateful. Thanks for such an open challenge. Now to back-track on the ones I've missed.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this card Sonja! Is it for Mel by any chance? :-) I know she, or whoever gets it is going to love it too!

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Sonja,
I love the attitude of your woman...very put together and sassy. Did you consider beading the entire hat?

Watch out...beading is addictive!
Have you seen Larkin Van Horn and Nancy Eha's website? Both great beading teachers and have books out.

http://www.larkinart.com
http://www.beadcreative.com/

Cynthia

brendaj said...

I love this, especially the echo quilting.
Brenda

Sonja Threadgill Nelson said...

Thanks for all of the input & encouragement. I'm learning more each time I do a challenge. One of these days I plan to really break out of my shell!