Monday, May 28, 2007

Aurora Luna





This was a potato dextrin resist dye painted fabric . I did pin tuck pleats to raise and accentuate the flowing lines. I also did two double rows of pintucking around the moon, then used four layers of batting to stuff the moon so it would pop. After I quilted it, I painted the white of the moon with Pearlex and applied dozens of swarovski crystals in varied colors and sizes for a starry, irridescent sky.

I took the detail picture from the side to try to show the texture of the tucks and the puff of the moon. I wish the sparkle of the holographic thread and crystals would show better...it is really quite effective in person.

I haven't yet finished the edges as I'm debating whether to face it or frame it. Opinions?

As always, I welcome critiques and ideas...Cherie

3 comments:

Linda Cline said...

Now that is something I should try. You have a great batik effect without the mess of hot wax. I have a recipe in a Jane Dunnewold book for a resist using potato flakes. I wonder how different that is from potato dextrin.

Betty Donahue said...

That is very different. I love the colors.
What is potato dextrin. Never heard of it before.
Betty Donahue

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Cheri,
Love what you did! And I'm sure it's even prettier in person. The tucks are very effective for adding dimension. The only suggestion I have is about the centering of the moon....I usually find it more interesting have the main image off center. I hate to even mention this because I know how you are with a rotary cutter! and it's already a lovely piece! But it also looks very interesting to crop off 1/3 on the left...it emphasizes the sky more that way. Also the green/yellow section at the bottom doesn't have as much variation in it as the other sections, so it reads more as a solid. Would adding a bit more variation with paint integrate that section more with the whole piece?
Great job as always!
Cynthia