Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Canyon Strata


I started with a half yard of PFD white and added sun paints, full strength, in bold random stripes. The next color was the one I grabbed out of the bucket. Then I repeatedly sprayed with water to let the colors bleed, and covered it with tulle while it dried (not much of an effect). The strips were cut on the perpendicular and offset to sew back together. Finally the quilting was random, shapes that reminded me of the strata of rock at the Grand Canyon (which is almost in my back yard!). I'm not sure I really like this piece. I think I could have done more planning with the quilting, but I do like the bargello appearance (without all the fussy little pieces!). Self faced binding, and photographed on a black background. Comments, of course, are welcome! Thanks!

2 comments:

Linda Cline said...

The way you have cut and re-sewn your strips adds a lot of movent to your quilt. I like the variety of quilting you have added. The colors make me think more of a cool moist forest rather than the Grand Canyon.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Wendy,
It's so wonderful to see how different people interpreted this challenge...yours is very creative and lovely to look at. I think it's better than bargello because it's got the soft lines between the colors...more of a Monet.
Great job!
Cynthia