Thursday, May 31, 2007

Never Say Never!

9" x 12"
Bleach Gel Discharged Batik
Machine Quilting with Varigated Thread
Backing is two pieces of black felt


Just before this challenge was issued I was reading Lesley Riley's book Quilted Memories. She covers a number of techniques including subtracting color with bleach. I read and mentally thought "Nah, not for me."

Then came the challenge. I read about black being a mixture of colors. The result can be "surprising" according to Leslie. So when I was at my LQS and saw a black batik that looked solid except for some barely discernable brown I decided to buy some yardage. Still hadn't decided what to to but when I saw "Bab-O Gel with Bleach" at the dollar store I figured, "why not?"

Leslie said the bleaching process would take 2-8 minutes. Per her instructions, I clipped about an inch square to test. No results. Hm. I experimented further and put a length in a cookie pan. Covered with gel. It took about two hours, but the result was a lovely tan batik.

I decided my piece would be a process piece. One of my goals for this year is to really learn to do machine quilting. Earlier this month I took a class from Robbi Joy Elkow where she recommended practicing on two pieces of felt. I grabbed a couple pieces of felt, tore off a section of fabric, used small squares of fusible to secure the fabric to the felt, threaded some varigated thread, and started quilting.

The result is a process piece that was a great learning experience. I still have more of the untreated batik (if I photographed it all you would see if black) and some of the treated fabric. I'll look for more Bab-O as well. For a buck a bottle it's a pretty good deal!

Comments are most welcome!

-- Joanna Strohn in Tucson

http://www.dreamrunner.com
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Linda Cline said...

Your quilting is looking great. You should try making some patterned cloth with your next Bab-O purchase. I hope your using anti-chlor to stop the bleaching process.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Joanna, I'm glad you had fun and learned a new process with a good result. Quilting looks wonderful, too. If you think this was fun...try scrunching, knotting or tying the fabric then put on the bleach, you get some great striations and patterns. Linda is right, though. The bleach continues to work on the fabric, so it's best to neutralize it after you rinse it out. You can get anti-clor cheaply through Dharma Trading online or from a pool supply store.
I look forward to seeing your next challenge!
Cynthia