Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Green Mile Squared


I was in the process of making this quilt for something else and it pretty much fits this challenge so I'll post it. The analogous colors are lime green, yellow, and orange with the compliment of purple. You have to look to find the yellow which is yarn wrapped around the 3 middle pieces and the purple and green are the dominant colors. I call it Green Mile Squared since the green cuts through the middle of dark and light purple and it is definitely a grid pattern.

I pieced together the green and purple squares going from dark in the lower left to lighter in the upper right. Orange squares were scattered around to give it some 'oomph'. I splattered paint around after the quilting which is also in a grid pattern. It seemed to need something in the middle so I wrapped a yellow and purple yarn around wooden skewers found in the grocery store and stitched them in the middle of the quilt.

THE REASON I WAS IN THE PROCESS OF MAKING THIS IS BECAUSE I JUST FINISHED A BOOK STUDY OF KATIE PASQUINI MASOPAUST'S BOOK "COLOR AND COMPOSITION FOR THE CREATIIVE QUILTER". IT MADE FOR A VERY GOOD STUDY AND LOTS OF LESSONS INVOLVING JUST WHAT THIS CHALLENGE WAS ABOUT. I'D RECOMMEND IT FOR ANYONE.

8 comments:

Joni said...

Hi Jan,
Your quilt is perfect for this challenge, it is amazing that you had already started it before the challenge was announced. I really like what you have done with the quilt, and especially adding the wrapped bars in the center as a focal point. Your little splashes of orange add alot of interest as well. Very nice job!

Wendy said...

Jan, its fabulous! My jaw dropped when I opened the page! Color and movement and grid, oh my! How did you finish the edges?

Monty Wilson said...

Wow! This is terrific! I love the accent in the center - how do you think of something like that??? It's perfect.

janice pd said...

Wow for certain. I love your color balance and the way you balanced the sizes of your elements. I also like the way you bound the squares rather than squaring the whole thing.

Carole said...

Very special Jan... I am glad you had this in the works and that it fit for the challenge. I certainly appreciate seeing these results.
It is a 'wowzer' to be sure!
And thank you too, for the tip on the book you recommend.
Well done!
Carole

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I can only echo the above comments! How I love those wrapped embellishments! Did you learn this from KPM's book?
Wonderful colors
Cherie

Betty Warner said...

Jan:
I echo all the above comments. This is a terrific piece. My eyes move around as I look at it. The wrapped yarns stop them. I love the irregularity and the wash of the colors.
Well done.

Betty Warner

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Jan, I really like the shape of the piece itself...it echos the interior nicely. And the grid quilting lines are very effective. Great job...love the colors.
Cynthia