Monday, April 06, 2009

Crocus

My quilt isn't finished as this was a harried week. It has yet to go the sewing machine! It was WonderUndered to the background. I used (partially) the same method as I used last month--with some refinements. It is something I'd like to explore in larger size. However--it is very time consuming. But--my quilts usually are. I once had a photographer tell me that my quilts are very intricate.

I believe this quilt fits the challenge. There are some highly saturated colors combined with tones. There is also light and shadow--both in the two flowers and in the ground (bark, dirt, dead leaves, etc.). Size is approximately 9.5" x 14".

7 comments:

Joni said...

Sally,
You have captured the essence of your inspirations photo, the choice of fabrics for the background and the flowers work very well. I love the way the varigated leaves are done. What if you added more highlights to the flowers? Maybe that would make them sparkle a little. Just a thought. Nice job!

Della said...

Great job. The choice of fabric is perfect. The flowers look so delicate and have such depth.

Sally said...

Joni--My intention from the start is to add highlights with the quilting. There are places--especially along the edges of the petals--that if lightened a bit will add to the depth of the piece.

Joni said...

Sally, I thought that maybe you were going to accent with the quilting. Do, post again when it is finished, it is an exceptional piece.

Susan B said...

Beautiful quilt, Sally. What a great job you have done to capture your source photo so convincingly. I do love flower quilts!

Carole said...

Sally this is lovely.... can't wait to see it enhanced with the quilting.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Sally, Looks good! Nice use of the darkened background with some interesting textures, the muted green leaves in the mid ground, and the bright flowers in the foreground...it other words, really good feeling of depth. I might be nice to add some variation in the coloring of the flowers with your quilting thread.
Great job
Cynthia