Saturday, May 02, 2009

Mahjong Impressions




With many different images floating through my head, I started sketching rectangular patterns in an attempt to create a grid. What started to emerge was a stacked collection of tiles that reminded me of a Mahjong game board. (I play way too many computer games). I started thinking this could be the source for a new series using the grid construction. I started this piece by selecting my analogous colors, yellow-green, yellow and yellow-orange, and adding a purple as my complementary accent. I made each tile a separate little quilt-let, and finished the edges with the pillow-case method. Then I was forced to put it the whole design into my drafting program to play with the relationship of the pieces. So much for artistic expression. I guess the word “grid” brought out the draftsman side of me. After printing out my pattern, the whole piece was carefully pinned to my design board, and I took the photo at that time (this morning). The tiles still have to become attached to each other, so any comments about my arrangement can be fixed. I like the basic result of this piece, and wish that it could be a little larger. Please note that the tan background is my design board and not part of the piece. One thing learned is that it sure is easier to quilt and embellish a small piece, however the logistics of putting it all together is quite a challenge in itself. I look forward to making some more quilts using a grid construction, and also look forward to any comments I may receive. This was a fun challenge for me.

10 comments:

Monty Wilson said...

Wow! I love this! I especially like the shadows on each separate "tile." It's such a cool quilt!

Sandy said...

I love this. It really pops. At first glance, I almost thought you mounted them on gallery wrap canvas!
I am going to direct my students to this image. Some of them are struggling to see how to present the explorations they have done on line.
Sandy in the UK

Carole said...

YES!! Joni, this is great!!
I just read Sandy's comment about the mounting on gallery wrap canvas..wouldn't that be great?
To my eye, the arrangement looks good....
As some people use the phrase... 'You rocked this one'...
Carole

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Wheww...I'd say you did a fantastic job. Shapes, colors all make for such an interesting piece.

Jan said...

Super job! Just how 'small' is this quilt? You've not only worked with a grid but have achieved such depth with this piece. It appears as though they are blocks stacked upon one another. The wavy lines going different directions keep one's eye moving all around the piece. I'll hang it on my wall any day when you no longer want it around!

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Oh boy! I love everything about this one Joni! The colors are stunning, and the depth created by your shadows is amazing. How I'd love to see this one in person! Beautiful!!!
Cherie

Pam Harris said...

I like the depth in this piece and find the colors very soothing. Interesting piece to look at as each time I see something different. Wonderful stitching and quilting that accents each square.
Pam

Betty Warner said...

Joni:
A wonderful piece for so many reasons. I am inspired to try something like this.

Regarding the arrangement of the tiles, what if you moved the light green (I think it is the third layer) just a very little bit to the left. To me it feels like it needs to be a little more connected to the yellow tile.

Awesome effort.

Betty Warner

Susan B said...

This is a piece that I really enjoyed looking at and spending some time with. I like the variety of shapes. They relate well to one another, yet there is plenty of variety. The use of decorative stitching was well done. I sometimes look for places to use the stitches my machine will do and rarely find it. Your stitching seems integral to the rest. Love the dimensionality the shadows convey.

Kathy Angel Lee said...

As I was scrolling through the blog, your piece definitely caught my eye. Nice choice of colors, excellent shading on each small quiltlet and the placement is perfect.

kathy