Saturday, May 30, 2009

Zen in Sand


I've had a picture in my file for years of a rock in a raked sand garden. We've all seen the zen sandboxes that can be raked, smoothed, sculpted. That's what it reminds me of....
This piece was first sewn with a double needle to create the pintucks to form the grooves in the sand. I used a dark thread in one needle to give it some depth but it really didn't show enough. The rock is appliqued and shaded with pigment and watercolor pencils. Gently quilted in the grooves and around the rock, and that's all.
A quick one since I'm getting ready to go on vacation.... but I'll be back in time for the next challenge. Comments of course are welcome.

7 comments:

Joni said...

Wendy, I like the double needle effect you achieved on this piece. I thought at first you had used piping. This one has a really calm and peaceful feeling, lovely!

Sandy said...

Wow, so simple, but so right!

And you have the depth with the shading on the rock.
well done.
Sandy in the UK

Jan said...

Beautifully simple! Looks like a lone rock left by the tide. Great color choices and one I could look at for a long time.

janice pd said...

Very peaceful. I like they way your pintucks and shading on the rock give depth. Nice!!

Carole said...

Nicely done, Wendy.... so you! Right for the challenge.
Very restful.... have a good vacation

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Hi Wendy...I love those zen sand gardens, too. And this piece is vey Zen in it's simple lines and shapes. Did you consider cropping it for more interest? When I hold my hand over the top 1/3, it seems more balanced to me.
Good job! Love the orangy neutral
Cynthia

Cherie in Del Mar said...

Oh so restful! Did you dye the fabric? Great job with the dimension/ depth of the rock...
Cherie