Thursday, April 22, 2010

Under the Sea Reflections



April Fools !! AKA …"Under the Sea Reflections"
I got started soon as the Challenge was announced…Today..Thursday before the new Challenge will be given I finished #43…Yes!! The beading...

For the water reflection I matched the flamingo's right side of fabric to the wrong side and sewed the pieces together …used fusible and then fussy cut the plants and birds ironing this to grasses on top and a under-water looking batik on the bottom plus several fish.

My stitching..fancy yarn for underwater plants, stitching around fish, birds and Plants. A couple rows of bobbin stitching with razzle- dazzle thread.  For my non traditional edge finish I used Terry Grant's zig-zag over cording… I used a wider zig-zag width and varigated thread. (I made the edges kind of wavey) I've used this method once before and I like the narrow zig-zag and solid thread.
Great finish for small art quilts!!

1 comment:

Pam Harris said...

Great use of the backside of the fabric!! I wondered how you got such a good mirrored image. I have a friend who says we own both sides of the fabric so one needs to consider the backside for variety. Her philosophy works well in this piece.

Nice composition of life above water and below. Good thread work and bread accents.

Pam