Monday, November 01, 2010

Challenge #50 "Out My Office Window" by Pam Clark




This little quilt measures 8.5 inches by 11 inches. I embroidered the haiku on the back. It reads:


Outside, bare branches.

Inside, sunny windowsill,

Green, blooming houseplants.


To make the quilt, I took a picture looking out my office window, hence the title. I used the photo to attain the proportions. I bleached the lower portion of a blue batik to acheive a lighter area at the bottom. I used textile paints to add a little green color and then drew the stark, bare branches. I fussy cut the pots and the flowers and machine appliqued them onto the background. I machine-pieced the window frame and sill. I drew in (with a sharpie) the shadow of the plant on the right side of the photo. This was a fun challenge. I wrote several haiku before selecting the one above.

5 comments:

Jan said...

Pam, this is a nice little quilt. I like the angle of the window with the uneven frame to it. Bleaching the lower part of the blue gave some depth to your piece. My only suggestions would be to possibly raise at least one of the tree's branches to be a bit higher than your potted window plants. The second would be to maybe move the center small pot closer to one of the larger pots for more asymmetrical balance or add another pot by one of the larger ones. Great Haiku, too!

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Great Haiku and very nice piece. I like the bare branches outdoors and the fun plants on the ledge. Well done.

Cherie in Del Mar said...

I especially like the shadow on the right side. Gives a good perspective. Happy piece, nice haiku...well done :-)
Cherie

Pam Harris said...

Nice piece. I really like the fact that the window is askew. Good composion and perpesective.

:Diane said...

Delightful poem and a wonderful expression of the joy of tending house plants. Fun.

:Diane - yarngoddess