Monday, November 08, 2010

Leaves Tumble Gold Appears

Leaves Tumble Gold Appears
Souls That Left Us behind. Rest
Lest I've Come To You

Attending a wool festival in Asheville, NC I noticed a tiny cemetery tucked within the Smokey Mountains. I had just a clue about the Challenge. My mind runs in different directions So my tentative plan was autumn, leaves, cemetery and an old poem "Dear Ancestor" one of the lines is "I wonder if you knew, someday I would come to visit you ". My inspiration was born.

My Size is small 9 1/2 by 12 inches. Materials used - cotton batik fabrics, shorn/dyed wool, threads pulled from upholstery fabrics. Method free motion embroidery and quilting, needle punch

Susan Ward
Fort Mitchell, KY

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The colors on this piece are nice, but what really draws me in is the dimension achieved by using the wool roving. The background fabric is very effective in emulating trees and other shadowy shapes!

:Diane said...

Susan,
I love the background fabric you chose for the deep woods. Nice suggestion of carving on the old and tilting tombstones.

I would have preferred the wool to be more restrained... but that's probably coming out of my weaving/spinning/wet felting background. I'm used to forcing the fiber to submit to my desires. I find it hard now to work loose although I've had a "shaggy period." :o)

Diane - yarngoddess