Friday, April 01, 2011
22" x 15 1/2"
My first thought was to use various pieces of tulle and organza for ballet tutus, but the bag of plastic mesh pieces which I have been collecting for a while called out louder! I then bunched another piece for each, and made the upper bodice, cutting away the center to make arms, with a bit of lace and a couple beads to cover the join at the waistline. I hesitated about actually adding legs, hands and faces, since I'm not good at faces. However, the feeling of movement is there even without actual bodies, so I decided to leave it like that.
I added a scattering of yellow, gold and orange beads over the surface, then used the same lace as part of the border.
The background is a single piece of pastel colors with an overall scattering of gold flecks, but they don't photograph well.
I enjoyed this challenge, and look forward to your comments.