Monday, October 31, 2011
I made a paper sample of a leaf notan. I liked that the inner square was not perfectly centered. I then decided to go forward with a quilt. It measures 24" square. I used some fabrics I had ice dyed. I used the same technique for the quilt as I did for the paper sample - cutting and flipping. The fabric was not near as stable as the paper. I used a glue stick and dabbed each piece of fabric with glue before sticking it down. I felt there was too much background showing in the middle of the quilt so I stuck three additional leaves on each square. The inner squares do not line up well on the quilt, since they were not centered on the paper pattern. I used a free motion satin stitch around each element in the quilt to neaten up some of the rather frayed edges and FMQ just the background of each square. The quilt looks a little too traditional for my taste, but I do like the way the fabric seems to glow. Comments welcome.